aka Augustana Lutheran Cemetery
Logan Township, Calhoun County, Iowa, USA
John Guslov Anderson and his wife Louisa Sophis (Johnson) Anderson are buried in the Piper Cemetery, located in the Logan Township of Calhoun County, Iowa at 42.35390º north latitude, -94.53310º west longitude (628). The certificate of the death of John G. Anderson on 25 Nov 1938 states that on 27 Nov 1938, he was buried in the Skaraborg Cemetery in Logan Township (1017).
Skaraborg Church, a Swedish Lutheran Society, was established on 27 Jul 1891. A house of worship was built in the southern part of Section 2 of the Logan Township of Calhoun County. A 1911 plat of Township 87 North of Range 32 West of the 5th Prime Meridian indicates the location of the church in Section 2, approximately 1 and 1/2 miles northeast of the town of Piper (629). Consistent with this 1911 plat, the Geographic Names Information System of the U.S. Geological Survey assigns the coordinates: 42º 22′ 10″ north latitude, 9º 43′ 23″ west longitude (42.3694240º, -94.541920º) to Piper Cemetery (1043).
In his history of Calhoun County, Iowa, Beaumont E. Stonebraker writes that Skaraborg Church, a Swedish Lutheran society, was incorporated in the Logan Township of Calhoun County on 27 Jul 1891 (138). John Engstrom, Swan Bangston, and Charles Hoff served as the first board of trustees. A frame house of worship was built in the southern part os Section 2. After the Fort Dodge, Des Moines and Southern Railroad was completed, the church building was removed to the nearby small town of Piper. According to an obituary for Milton Anderson of Fort Dodge, Iowa, the Skaraborg Lutheran Church at Piper, Iowa closed in 1969 (1042).
Most graves recorded by the WPA Cemetery Survey to be in Skaraborg Swedish Lutheran Church Cemetery are in a cemetery at: 42.353632° north latitude, -94.533290° west longitude and referred to as the Logan Township Cemetery. There is not an obvious sign at the entrance to the cemetery; however, a marker near the entrance is labeled “Swedish Luth. Ev. Church.
Perhaps Skaraborg Lutheran Church was located in Section 2 as depicted on the 1911 plat but the cemetery associated with the church was a relatively short distance away where the Logan Township Cemetery now stands. The USGS may have simply assigned the location of the church to the cemetery as well. Alternatively, the cemetery may have been moved for railroad construction or other development.